Claudis Alston, a 65 year old Houston man with a series of aliments, was given a prescription to treat pink eye (Conjunctivitis). He was given a prescription for cortisporin ophthalmic suspension and went to his local CVS to fill it.
It is alleged that he was given a medicine for bacterial ear infections, neomycin-polymyxin-HC. After using the drops he is now blind in his left eye.
Because of Texas tort reform the maximum pain and suffering award for a case like this is $250,000. However, the public relations cost to CVS is likely to be much higher. The case illustrates the importance of proactively managing adverse and allegedly adverse events. Contact PharmacyLiability.com to discuss risk management practices and insurance products to minimize adverse publicity and verdicts when mistakes happen.